The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released a memo that explains how Medicare Advantage Plans, Prescription Drug Plans, and Medicare-Medicaid Plans can request COVID-19 vaccine data (COVAX) data from CMS regarding their enrollees, subject to approval, to assist with case management, care coordination, and other population-based activities to improve health.
Data will include the following:
- Enrollee-identifying information (name, Medicare Beneficiary Identifier, date of birth);
- Vaccine-specific information (date the vaccine was administered, the identifier for the administering provider, the National Drug Code for the vaccine given);
- Whether the first or second dose was administered;
- Residence of enrollee (private home, long term care facility, or other location); and
- Vaccine administration site (if provided in the pharmacy claim).
As noted in the memo, the COVAX data request and sharing process will be implemented in phases. See p. 3 for key dates. Plans can now begin submitting data requests to CMA via the ABII-COVAX Web Portal.